So, my last adventure with coconut flour was a disaster.
I made pancakes and they were actually awful.
So the rest of the flour there was left had been sitting in my kitchen for months now, until last week my husband went to the store and bought 3 dozen eggs. Yes, this is what happens when you send a guy to the store and write “eggs” on the shopping list – you get 3 dozen of them. Too bad it doesn’t work like that when I write “ice cream” or “chocolate”.
Anyway, in order to use up those eggs I remembered about the coconut flour which always requires a lot of eggs.
I found a perfect recipe to try. Gluten free cream cheese coffee cake.
I did made a few changes. I didn’t have pecans or maple syrup. And I used greek yogurt in place of the regular one (I think that what they meant in the original recipe).
I think I found my new favorite cake and I do not feel guilty feeding it to the kids, also.
- 4 ounces queso fresco whole milk cheese ( I used it not because I wanted but because I didn’t have enough cream cheese)
- 4 ounces cream cheese (room temperature) – 8 oz (or more) if you don’t use queso fresco!
- 4 TBSP raw honey (more if needed)
- 1 egg
- 2 TBSP dutch cocoa
- 6 eggs
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/2 cup greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup raw honey
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 cup + 1 tablespoon coconut flour, sifted
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup mix dried cranberries and raisins
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Grease one 8-inch round cake pan.
2. Beat together all ingredients for cream cheese filling. Set aside.
3. Combine the first five ingredients for cake then add the dry ingredients through the salt. Mix well.
4. Pour cake batter into pan and drop cranberries and raisins on top of the batter.
6. Top with cream cheese filling and use a knife or tooth pick to swirl it around.
7. Bake for 25 minutes and let cool before slicing.
After one bite hubby described it: “well, it tastes different“, and he didn’t eat any more. The thing is that if we all ate by his taste buds we would be eating cheeseburgers, BBQ pulled chicken, chilli and apple pie for 7 days a week, 365 days a year.
That meant that the whole cake is for me and the kids only, and I shouldn’t be so happy about it, as my pants are getting surprisingly smaller on me lately.
Have a great weekend my friends.