I was planning to make those pretzels for a while.
I don’t know why I was waiting so long. They came out super delicious.
Soft and fluffy.
My daughter couldn’t stop eating them.
1 1/4 C Water
1 TBS olive oil
1tsp Lemon Juice
2 TBS Sugar
1 tsp Salt
1 Egg YOLK
3 1/2 C Flour
1 TBS Active Dry Yeast
1/4 cup flaxseed meal
1/2 cup medium cheddar cheese (or any kind of cheese you like), shredded
1 TBS Heavy cream (or half&half)
1 Egg WHITE
coarse salt for sprinkling (optional)
Directions for bread maker:
1. Put all the ingredients to the bread maker in order as listed above (EXCEPT FLAX and Cheese!). Left out “egg wash” ingredients, too. Run bread maker on “dough” cycle.
2. During the second kneading add flaxseed meal and shredded cheese.
3. When the dough is ready knead it a few times on lightly floured surface.
4. Divide the dough into 14 to 16 pieces.
5. Roll each piece into a rope, about 12 to 14 inches long.
6. Fold into pretzel shape.
7. Place each pretzel on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, about 1 to 2 inches apart.
8. Let them rest for about 30 minutes.
9. Whisk together egg white and cream. Gently brush each pretzel with the mixture.
10. Sprinkle coarse salt on top of each pretzel to your likes (optional).
11. Bake in 375 F for 15-20 minutes.
Directions for hand (KitchenAid) kneading:
Dissolve the yeast and sugar in 1/4 cup of pretty warm water until bubbly. In a separate bowl mix together flour and salt. Make hole in the middle and pour the yeast mixture inside it. Gently mix with your hands adding remaining water, olive oil and lemon juice until the dough is not sticky anymore and forms a soft ball. Add flaxseed meal and shredded cheese. Knead until they are well incorporated into the dough.
At this point cover it with towel and let it rest for an hour or until doubled in size.
Follow the steps from 4 to 11 as in directions for bread maker.
Go well with almost anything, and they taste the best warm!
Don’t be shy and let me know what’s hiding in your head!