This morning I woke up at 6 am to a bleeding nose and a terrible headache. I couldn’t go back to sleep so I got up and fixed some dough for cinnamon rolls for breakfast when everybody gets up. I’m so tired and lazy and can’t wait when my daughter will go for her nap – she didn’t get up yet and I am already waiting for her to go to bed again. Just feeling like today is going to be a tough day. I would give a lot for a big cup of black strong coffee right now. Getting so tired of being pregnant. It feels like my body is not mine anymore. I lost control over it and there is nothing I can do to get it back… Give a birth only. A few more months!!!
Anyway, it looks like we’re going to eat those cinnamon rolls for brunch not for breakfast. It takes 2 hours to make them and 20 minutes to bake… Only crazy people do that, I mean make cinnamon rolls from scratch for breakfast. I would have to get up at 5:30 am to have them done for 8am. Oh well I hope they will taste good at least.
If not we are going to have some opened face sandwiches from left over bread for sometime between brunch and lunch. I’m getting hungry… .
Oh yeah! I made a pull apart cheesy herb bread yesterday and it was freaking delicious. Knowing my luck with baking breads I was really worried about it. I decided to make it for dinner and serve instead of potatoes/rice. That meant that if my bread isn’t good my husband is going to eat only salad with some chicken. I… oh well… grapefruit, I guess.
Most of the time when I decide to make for dinner rolls or bread or something what requires rising time I start making it much too late, and we end up having dinner around 7 or 8 pm. It wasn’t any different this time. I guess I can’t learn from my old mistakes… lol
Bread came out great! Not so fluffy as I was hoping for but it’s because I was running out of time and didn’t give the dough enough time to rise – both times.
Ingredients for bread dough:
4 cups all purpose flour
1 Tbsp salt
1 package instant yeast
1 1/4 cup lukewarm milk + 1/4 hot milk to dissolve the yeast in
4 oz mild cheddar cheese
fresh herbs (I used parsley)
1 egg for brushing
1. In 1/4 cup hot milk dissolve the yeast. In a separate sauce pan heat up the 1 1/4 cup milk until lukewarm.
2. In a mixing bowl mix the flour and salt.
3. When the yeast is bubbly and dissolved pour it over the flour, add remaining lukewarm milk.
4. Mix/knead everything together until the dough is smooth and comes clean from the sides of the bowl.
5. Placed the dough into a greased bowl and leave to rest in room temperature until doubles in volume.
6. When the dough is ready divide it into 12 ball and flatten them. Not too thin, though.
7. On every flatten dough disk place about 2 Tbsp of shredded cheese, carrot, chopped herbs mixture. Fold in half and seal the edges with fork or your fingers.
8. Place the pocket into a greased 9×5 loaf pan. Do the same with the rest of the dough.
9. Leave again to rest in a room temperature. After about 30 to 45 minutes preheat the oven to 375 F. When the oven is ready brush the dough with beaten egg.
10. Bake for about 40 minutes. After 20 minutes if the bread is getting too dark (burned) on top place aluminum foil on top.
While still warm I spread some garlic butter on top of each slice. Delicious!!!
This recipe is one of my favorite and definitely a keeper. Can’t wait to try it with different stuffings. Next time, though, I’ll give it much more time to rise. I want it to be fluffy and very easy to pull apart.
Ok, time to eat some cinnamon rolls with homemade cream cheese frosting. My Little One ate 2 already!!!
This recipe is adapted from Roxana Green Girl.
Don’t be shy and let me know what’s hiding in your head!